The Treasury designation also included Hassan Mahat Omar, a previously unknown Shabaab leader who operates from Nairobi, Kenya.
- Omar is described as a "a key figure in al Shabaab's efforts to recruit new members and raise funds"
- "an ideological leader of al Shabaab."
- He also "exercises leadership and decision-making authority in al Shabaab's internal political and operational decisions."
- Omar operates from a mosque in the Eastleigh section of Nairobi, where he serves as "a key leader."
- Omar and other Shabaab leaders use the Eastleigh mosque to "raise funds, recruit and disseminate propaganda on behalf of al Shabaab."