The most important note in this story is that these details of this story was published as an original story in the Garowe online, a Somali News site. This site usually produces accurate details of events, a ballanced view, with both pro and anti Islamist commentary.
Former Higher Education Minister, William Ruto Jetted back in the country from The Hague where he had gone to see the International criminal Court (ICC) investigators over his role in the 2007 post-election violence.
Mr Ruto’s plane touched down at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) at 8.10 AM after it had earlier been diverted to land at Mombasa’s Moi International Airport due to poor visibility.
On arrival, Ruto, said he used the trip to The Hague to share with ICC investigators what he knows about 2007 post-election violence.“I used the opportunity to share my point of view and the information that I have on issues ICC is investigating in our country,” Ruto said. “As part of that responsibility, I thought it was prudent to share with the investigators what I knew on the issues relating to the violence in our country,” he further added.
Ruto jets back from The Hague as ICC investigators in Kenya get ready to interview security officers who served in areas that experienced the election violence that killed more than 1300 people and displaced thousands.
- Ruto wrote three letters asking for an appointment with Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo, and on the last letter he was given audience
- The suspended Minister told journalist that he presented his position in post election Violence in writing and in tapes.
- Ruto blamed the Kenya National Human Rights Commission and The Waki Commission which mandate to investigate on what caused the violence and who funded it, for not giving those adversely mentioned in their reports an opportunity to respond to issues raised.
- The suspended minister also took a swipe at some lawyers and politicians whom he accused of perpetrating falsehoods in Waki and KNHR reports by recruiting, coaching and giving money to witnesses.
- He wondered why ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo chose to take off to London when he was aware that he would be at ICC yet he was the one who revealed to journalists that a senior cabinet minister had written a letter to ICC requesting to see him.
- It is understood that besides clearing his name, he wants the Sh 96 million case and another one in an Eldoret Court resolved by April Next year so that he can concentrate in his Presidential campaigns .
- The case will be heard from January 24, next year.